Monday, April 28, 2008

Constructing the Frame




Well first lets start off if the question posed in the previous entry, Why? Now the reasons I decided to choose this particular cinematic sequence was because I found it to be rich in the way the director/cinematographer (in this case its Martin Scorsese) carefully framed each and every aspect of the sequence. He very carefully constructed, represented, and conveyed the elusion of a three-dimensional space, through spatial and temporal re-representation. Basically in most cases (in the film industry) the director/cinematographer is tasked with re-interpreting the space in the film as a three-dimensional space translated into a two-dimensional representation.

Now to pose another question, how does one dissect, analysis, and extract the essential parts of the sequence? It is at this point I took the film sequence broke it up into seventy- seven still frames and started to diagram them, focusing what the eye was drawing to first. These diagrams turned into approximately three analytical drawings that help me to create/construct in what I saw was a “surface” (the second part of the project). Low and behold I was somewhat off target when it came to thinking my first attempt was a surface. When in fact all it really was (in my eyes) was the formwork that would hopefully lead to the creation of a surface.





No comments: